Step-by-Step Process for a Successful Cloud Migration on AWS
A robust cloud strategy is essential for scaling corporate capacities and meeting digitalization goals. Businesses shift from on-premise systems to cloud technology at this point. Because corporate vision, goals, and interests drive cloud strategy, no two businesses will have the same migration approach. We give a step-by-step process for doing a successful cloud migration rapidly and effectively.
Consider Security Challenges in Cloud Migration
Cloud technology gives apps and services full-stack security. Though the benefits of cloud migration are exciting, it’s crucial to be aware of the cloud migration challenges before beginning the process. Failure to consider migration considerations can lead to major problems.
Cloud migration checklist to keep in mind before migrating to the cloud:
- Data blocks may be lost or destroyed; therefore, data sensitivity must be ensured.
- Because databases are frequently encrypted, think about encryption and decryption. It is possible to ruin data if you do not treat it appropriately.
- To speed up the process, never employ crude instruments or techniques. This could result in plugin depreciation, lost instances, and other issues.
- An inadequate grasp of the system framework can result in issues throughout the migration process. Identify insufficiencies in the system’s framework prior to migration.
- After the migration, use an automated test framework with complete stack security testing procedures to look for any vulnerabilities.
- There are various security concerns to consider when performing cloud migration. Prepare a security audit plan to ensure migration teams follow security policies throughout the migration process to guarantee all security measures are met.
Step-by-Step Cloud Migration Process
Here is an industry-proven best-in-class cloud migration process to help firms plan for successful cloud migration:
- Define the migration’s business purpose.
- Assess your migration costs and requirements.
- Assess the environment and applications
- Select a cloud environment (single or multi-cloud)
- Choose a deployment strategy (IaaS, PaaS & SaaS)
- Select a reliable cloud partner.
- Choose the right architecture
- Prioritize migration components
- Establish performance baselines
- Create a robust data-migration plan
- Migrate applications
- Review applications, databases and required components
- Transfer domain and IP’s to application
- Test applications, databases and required components
- Conduct security testing to ensure no vulnerabilities exist
AWS Cloud Migration Process
AWS offers full-stack cloud computing solutions in the form of AWS Cloud Adoption Framework to help organizations mobilize with the finest cloud strategy solutions. Many companies are aggressively shifting to the Amazon Web Services cloud. Follow the procedures outlined above as well as the steps outlined below to perform an AWS cloud migration.
Image: AWS Cloud Migration Phase Driven Approach
Image: AWS Cloud Migration Process
Image: AWS Cloud Migration of a Production Workload
AWS Migration Tools and Platforms
At every stage of the migration process, AWS provides useful & effective tools. For-
Discovery & Migration Tracking:
- AWS Migration Tracking
- AWS Application Discovery Service
- TSO Logic
Server & Database Migration
- AWS Server Migration Service
- AWS Database Migration Service
- VMware Cloud on AWS
- CloudEndure Migration
- Amazon S3 Transfer Acceleration
- AWS Snowball
- AWS Snowmobile
- AWS Direct Connect
- Amazon Kineses Firehose
I’ll be sharing frequent content for cloud computing & different cloud platforms & use cases from now on. I have a pool of 100+ cloud professionals who are working with Cloud Architecture, Migration, DevOps, Data Engineering, etc. for Startups to Enterprises in the USA, UK, Norway, Germany, Netherlands, Japan & Bangladesh.
Feel free to share your insights & comment based on your expertise.
You can also reach out to me for any professional help via DM-ing me over LinkedIn Message or comment box.